Sunday, March 27, 2011

Disfraz Fiesta and Teaching

At the Rector Peset, the Spanish students plan several parties that everyone can buy tickets for. The most recent was a costume (disfraz) party in the basement of the dorm. Buying the ticket was last minute, but I ended up going as a beach bum. The party was so much fun - the Spanish kids always do a great job with planning them. The 'Divinas' of Rector (similar to the Plastics of Mean Girls, but they're not very mean) all dressed up as sailors. Some of the others dressed up as the Jolly Green Giant, a spice girl, and one was a knight. I was surprised that their costumes were similar to ones in the U.S. It was such a great night! :)

The same weekend, I went to a small community center by the beach with my friend Sean to teach English. It was one of the neatest interactions I've had with people in Spain because the people there were in my same position of trying to learn a new language. I was able to help them, and at the same time, practice my Spanish a little bit. We worked on pronunciation since it was only their second week, and everyone seemed to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment