Thursday, March 3, 2011

When in Rome...

A trip to Italy has always been at the top of my bucket list, and last weekend, I finally got to check it off. I was so happy we managed to fit several of the major attractions into just a few days. We were on the go for a good part of it, but definitely took time to relax, drink wine, and do as the Italians do!


We stayed in a cute Italian hostel called Etsy Bed and Breakfast, which came equipped with an Italian mother I've always wanted! She was so sweet to us, but we had a hard time communicating since she spoke neither Enlgish nor Spanish.

This was our first meal in Rome! It was the first of many bottles of red wine and plates of pasta. I ordered fetuccini alla carbonara (red sauce with peas).

One of the first things we decided to do was visit the Colosseum. Being there was surreal since I had seen it so many times in pictures, but never right in front of me. So much history happened within the monument that it was difficult to soak everything in.

Inside the Colosseum

This was originally covered by the ground on which the gladiators fought. Each of the small chambers held a gladiator before he was brought out to fight.

We were able to visit the Roman Forum on our first day too. The ruins are considered to be the heart of ancient Rome. Again, it was an overwhelmingly great amount of history to soak in at one time.

I ate gelato SO many times during the weekend. I think my favorite was probably one called chocolate with biscuits. The fruity flavors were delicious also, but I couldn't help but try all the chocolate flavored gelato.

We visited the Trevi fountain twice during our stay. It's my (hands down) favorite place in Rome. The water that flowed through it was gorgeous, and I don't know how to describe the statues really. They seemed life-like--I guess you just have to see it yourself!

The Trevi by night

Throw one coin in: You will return to Rome.
Throw two coins in: You will fall in love in Rome.
Throw three coins in: Start hearing wedding bells.

After sipping wine in the plaza and eating gelato (of course), we went inside the Patheon!

Inside the Pantheon: the Romans invented the dome! Inside, it once was a shrine for the Roman Gods, but has since been used for Catholic purposes.

This is Katie and I in Piazza Navona with one of the several fountains. This was actually one of Elizabeth Gilbert's (Eat Pray Love) favorite spots in Rome when she visited, so I was really excited to be there.

My roommate Jessica and I on the way to the Sistine Chapel

Unfortunately, we weren't able to take pictures inside of the Sistine Chapel, but it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The detailing Michelangelo used for his art on the celing was incredible. The paintings seemed 3D, so the room seemed completely overwhelming and colorful. The pictures do not come close to doing it justice.

My friend Sean took this picture of me in the Vatican Museums. A guard yelled at him for laying on the ground, but we got an awesome picture out of it. :)

We visited St. Peter's (the biggest cathedral in the world) in Vatican City before leaving. Outside of the cathedral, the POPE came out of his window and spoke to the group of people waiting for him about God's love and promises. He also blessed us! Even though I'm not Catholic, it was incredible to see him in person and be a part of such a neat event.


I had a wonderful time with great friends, and if my wish at the Trevi Fountain comes true, I'll be returning. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures,T. You've soaked in so much culture and history. Not many have seen the world outside USA. You'll come back home a very enriched person. Will you every visit Paris and London?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aunt Marbie! I'm trying to soak in as much as I can. :) I'll be in London for about 5 hours for a layover on my way to Ireland, and I'm going to try to visit Paris during the two weeks after the program I'm here. The places I have booked are Belgium, Southern Spain, and Ireland!

    ReplyDelete